A Brief History of Squamish

train2

Below is a brief synopsis of some of the main events of 2014, including links to many artifacts and historical news clippings. You can find much more historical information on the Squamish Historical Society’s website at http://www.squamishhistory.ca/.

One hundred years ago, the town’s name officially changed from Newport to Squamish and the town site of Squamish (today’s downtown) was completed.

victoria thumb2 cleveland thumb2 13th2 newport to squamish name change thumb2 victoria thumb2

That same week, an Act to incorporate Squamish received Royal Assent on March 4, 1914.

act summary thumb3

Squamish would wait another 34 years until 1948 for actual incorporation as the Village of Squamish.

1 thumb 2 thumb 3 thumb 4 thumb 5 thumb

 

1948 thumb

 

1949 thumb

The year 1914 also marked significant milestones in the railway construction, with track being laid north from Cheakamus, and the completion of a new deep sea dock to accommodate rail barges and large vessels. By fall of that year, Squamish was connected north by rail as far as Pemberton.

7 Deepsea Dock thumb flyer 1 thumb flyer 2 thumb 1914 smoke bluffs thumb2

Fifty years ago, on December 15, 1964, Squamish, Brackendale and Mamquam amalgamated into a new District Municipality of Squamish.

1 thumb2 2 thumb2 3 thumb2 4 thumb2 5 thumb2
6 thumb 7 thumb 8 thumb 9 thumb 10 thumb

 

1964 letters patent thumb